blending

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Dianne Brewer

blending

Post by Dianne Brewer » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:28 pm

I have been working 1-1 with a boy in my class. who will be 5 in August (Reception). He's having real trouble learning to recognise letters (he now knows 6), but when working with him today I realised that he can now blend 3 sounds to hear words. I just wanted to share this progress, because it seems a small achievement, but it's taken a lot of work for both him and me!

Segmenting, on the other hand, seems rather a long way away!! :roll:

john walker

Post by john walker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:43 pm

Dear Diane,
Actually, segmenting is much easier to teach! Differentiate for him. Put down lines, give him a place to listen, use words that begin with a continuant and stretch out the sounds, one at a time. This will make explicit the relationship between words and sounds in the word and give him a clear structure (for his thinking).
I know that you are trained in Sounds-Write, so use Lesson 1 and you'll find that it will come very quickly.
Best wishes,
John Walker, Sounds-Write
Ps Do get in touch if you'd like to discuss this further.
John Walker
Sounds-Write
www.sounds-write.co.uk
http://literacyblog.blogspot.com

Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:01 pm

...but it's taken a lot of work for both him and me!
Diane, do you have any specific advice I can pass on to the mother of the YR boy I asked about on the thread about my new pupil? He also knows some correspondences but doesn't seem to know where to start with blending them so resorts to guessing or hopes someone will do it for him!

maizie
Administrator

Post by maizie » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:18 pm

I don't know if it is any help, but I suggested to someone else that they try using flashcards; presenting them faster & faster until the child cannot help but blend the word! (using 'pure' sounds is essential here)

This was strictly theoretical, based on my observation of my KS3 children trying to decode multisyllable words. They are somehow under the impresion that they have to decode the word, shut their eyes and remember all the syllables to put together. Of course, all they need to do is keep re-reading them until they have them secure and can read them fast enough to blend them. It seems to me that same applies to blending individual phonemes.

I think it worked for my friend. :?

Maltesers

Post by Maltesers » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:53 pm

Judy

I have been having lots of problems with my lowest group of year ones. Not one of them could blend the sounds together. I have made huge progress with them just recently by using my puppet and some pictures of CVC words. I have pictures of bag, cat, dog, hat, mat, sun etc and I spread them out over the table. I then get my puppet to talk in robot talk and ask the children to pass me a c a t or a h a t. If they get it right the puppet snatches the card off them which makes them fall about laughing but if they are wrong he shakes his head. The children can now all blend a cvc word.

nelly

Post by nelly » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:27 pm

Dianne

I've not been on this forum for ages due to Ofsted and many other reasons. Your post has just reminded me of why I love coming onto this website and why I must find more time to do so.

I love your story and it is by no means a 'small achievement' it is 'A GREAT BIG LEAP'. Congratulations to both of you!

Nelly