Diane McGuinness comments on the Torgerson Review

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Diane McGuinness comments on the Torgerson Review

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:49 pm

Diane McGuinness has now commented on the 'Systematic Review of the Research Literature on the use of Phonics in the Teaching of Reading and Spelling by Professor Brooks, Carole Torgerson and Jill Hall'

DS has made her paper into a PDF and it is available to read on my website front page www.dyslexics.org.uk

It will soon be on the RRF website too.

Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Susan - I keep getting a message saying 'This file is damaged and could not be repaired' when I try to open the pdf.

(At least it's not using words like 'fatal' and 'illegal' for once!)

kenm

Re: Diane McGuinness comments on the Torgerson Review

Post by kenm » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:24 pm

Susan Godsland wrote:Diane McGuinness has now commented on the 'Systematic Review of the Research Literature on the use of Phonics in the Teaching of Reading and Spelling by Professor Brooks, Carole Torgerson and Jill Hall'
What a demolition! It makes me wonder whether Hanlon's Razor ("Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence") is a possible defence of the original paper.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Judy, are you still having problems? I've just tested it again and it opens fine on my computer.

Perhaps try again in a short while?

g.carter

Post by g.carter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Ditto, Judy. Perhaps you have to be an engineer to make the link work for you (or me...). Have read the report elsewhere and it is quite stunning - in the true sense of the word. Hope it will be up on rrf soon. No disrespect to Susan's www. dyslexics.org.uk which is a fantastic site and a mine of information.

Lesley Drake

Post by Lesley Drake » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:59 pm

Well you can't get much more technically-challenged than moi, and I had no problem opening it and reading it.

Thank you, Lady-of-the-Links and thank you Diane.

What could possibly have motivated such shabby mean-spiritedness on the parts of Torgerson, Brooks and Hall? They must have known what they were up to.

Actually, they're a disgrace.

Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Still no luck, I'm afraid, Susan!

Maybe what the message REALLY means is that I need a more up-to-date version of Acrobat and it's expecting me to guess from the context, rather than decode what's actually written? :?

FEtutor

Post by FEtutor » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:54 am

Sad to say I'm getting the same message as Judy-
FEtutor

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Post by Susan Godsland » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:33 am

I guess that Judy has found the problem - it uses Acrobat Reader 5.0, so you may need to update your version? Sorry that I can't give a more definitive answer :(

Any computer experts out there who understand what's going on?

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:48 am

I had no trouble with the download. I have has Acrobat 5.0 for months and see that my most recent download was Adobe Reader 7.0. IIRC Acrobat 6.0 was not liked by users.
"... the innovator has as enemies all those who have done well under the old regime, and only lukewarm allies among those who may do well under the new." Niccolo Macchiavelli, "The Prince", Chapter 6

Judy

Post by Judy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:40 am

I'm afraid I still don't understand! I have Adobe Acrobat Reader 5 but have never had this problem before.

Peter very kindly sent me the pdf file as an email attachment overnight but the same message appeared.

The more it eludes me, the more I want to read it!!! :cry:

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:36 pm

When I clicked on the link, the review was displayed in my browser, Mozilla Firefox 1.0.6, not, as far as I could see, in Acrobat, but I suspect that Firefox has the ability to call other programs to work within its own space. I saved the page to my RRF directory, and found that what was created was a file with the dyslexia URL as title and a directory with a similar title. Clicking on the file produced an "illegal" message, but I could open it in notepad and found that it was indeed, as its suffix suggested, a short file of HTML. By working my way down the directory, I eventually got to a 34 Kb file called comment.pdf, which opened satisfactorily in both Acrobat 5.0 and Adobe Reader 7.0.

kenm

Post by kenm » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:45 pm

The direct link to the comment file is

http://www.aowm73.dsl.pipex.com/dyslexics/comment.pdf

That behaved differently from the indirect link when I asked for the file to be saved, and more as I expected. It is possible that that will work differently for other people too.

Judy

Post by Judy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:20 pm

Thank you, Ken, but I'm still getting the same message!

I wonder if there is any other way to read the comment?

Peter Warner

Post by Peter Warner » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:22 pm

Judy wrote:
I wonder if there is any other way to read the comment?
I just sent the text to you in email format. That's not perfect,
but it should work as a temporary measure.

Best regards, Peter Warner.
Peter Warner
Nagoya, Japan

English in Japan
[url]http://www.english-in-japan.com[/url]

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Proverbs 9:10