Synthetic Phonic glossary

Moderators: Debbie Hepplewhite, maizie, Lesley Drake, Susan Godsland

Susan Godsland
Administrator

Synthetic Phonic glossary

Post by Susan Godsland » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:07 pm

Look at this posting from the TES message board done by a wonderful RRF person :P

Quick vocabulary run down!

phoneme = smallest sound heard in a word. e.g. cat is 3 sounds c-a-t, ship is 3 sounds sh-i-p, blend is 5 sounds b-l-e-n-d. The English language uses about 44 phonemes - there are only 26 letters of the alphabet with which to represent them.

blend = when you put those sounds together to say a word e.g. if you run the sounds c-a-t together you will get the word 'cat'. This skill is needed for reading

segment = when you break a word down into its component sounds. This skill is needed for spelling/writing (identify each sound, spell the sounds in the order they come in the word, bingo! word spelled!)

grapheme = technical term for the symbol or symbols (letters) which represent a sound written down. e.g. 'th' is the grapheme that represents (or spells) the sound we say at the begining of the word 'this' (th-i-s), 'oe' represents the last sound we say in t-oe. Remember, there are 44 sounds and only 26 letters. we have to represent some sounds by combining letters.

phomeme/grapheme correspondence = often used in tones of disapproval by us phonics lot, as in "The children don't know their phoneme/grapheme correspondences!". In other words, they don't know that 'th' represents the sound at the beginning of 'this' etc.....
'One to one correspondence' means that a sound is represented by 1 letter.

decoding = a reading skill: looking at a word and working out what it 'says' by working out what sound each grapheme represents (working from L to R)and blending the sounds together to 'get' the word. Can be done out loud or silently.

digraph, trigraph etc. = the number of letters in a grapheme; a digraph has 2 letters, a trigraph has 3, etc (actually, I suppose there must be a 'quadgraph' - 4 letters- but I've never heard it used!)

Don't worry too much, you'll pick it up with the Jolly Phonics. I know it sounds a bit scary and technical at first, but it grows on you!

Have fun with the JP.

http://www8.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom ... readPage=2